Otterly Great Birthday Shaker Card

This was such a fun card to make.  I absolutely LOVE these adorable little otters.  I found the sequins and knew that I needed to make a shaker card with these little otters.  The main issue that I had was figuring out how to make the otters appear to be in water.  My idea was to use distress oxide ink on acetate, but I could not keep it from wiping off. So I decided to try embossing it with clear embossing powder.  It is hard to see it in the photo, but it looks a bit like they are in an aquarium.  Overall, I am very pleased with the final result.


Supplies:
  • My Favorite Things Otterly Love You stamp set
  • Lawn Fawn I'm So Jelly stamp set
  • Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80 lb Cardstock
  • Ranger Perfect Pearls Medium pen
  • Black Glaze Pen
  • 28 Lilac Lane Seaside Holiday sequins
  • Hot Off the Presses Heat Resistant Acetate
  • Tim Holtz Salty Ocean Distress Oxide Ink
  • Clear Embossing Ink
  • Finnabair Art Ingredients Mica Powder
  • Glossy Accents
  • Copic Markers
  • Memento Black Ink
  • Foam Tape
  •  ScorTape
First, I stamped 4 of the otters and the starfish onto Neenah cardstock.  I colored the otters and rocks with various Copic browns (I believe E33, E35, E37, E18, E15, E47, C3, C5, C7).  I "colored" the starfish with the Ranger Perfect Pearls medium pen and then brushed the Finnabair Art Ingredients Mica Powder in coral over the medium.  Because the color was wiping off, I covered them with a thin layer of glossy accents.

For the card base, I cut a piece of Neenah cardstock at 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 and scored it at 5 1/4.  For the shaker piece, I cut a piece of Neenah cardstock at 7 x 10 and scored it at 5, I cut an A2 sized rectangle out of the front..  I cut a piece of acetate at 6 3/4 x 4 3/4.  I sponged the Salty Ocean distress oxide ink onto the acetate and covered it with clear embossing powder and then heat set it.

To assemble the card, I taped the acetate into the opening with the smooth side (non-embossed side) in the window.  I adhered the rocks, the two otters, the starfish and the little fish onto the back of the panel.  I completely covered the space around the window with foam tape and then sprinkled the sequins in before sealing the card up.  I adhered this to the card base. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Bean Shaker Card

Northern Lights Background